Application Deadline: August 20, 2022
The « Lands and Droughts » press cartoon competition, organized as part of Désertif’actions 2022 in partnership with France Cartoons and Cartooning for Peace, has been launched.
For its 4th drawing competition, the organizers of Désertif’actions 2022 wanted to deal with a subject that is extremely topical in both southern and northern countries: “land and droughts”. This theme follows « the earth makes its climate » in Montpellier in 2015, « land and climate, the time to act » in Strasbourg in 2017 and « draw me the Great Green Wall » in Ouagadougou in 2019.
The international press cartoon competition “Lands and Droughts” took the prism of droughts to better illustrate the role and place of land and soils in the functioning of the terrestrial ecosystem, climate regulation, food security , the maintenance of the biodiversity of living organisms and, in general, in all terrestrial life and its well-being.
Droughts, their impacts and their treatment, expose the form of unconsciousness, indifference and even contempt shown by humanity for the earth and soils. However, warming temperatures, loss of biodiversity, food insecurity and many other threats, all linked to the continuous degradation of land, have taken a worrying turn, which at the same time increases inequalities and poverty and threatens the future of human societies.
- The international press cartoon contest is an initiative of the organizers of the 5th Desertif’actions 2022 summit in Montpellier (France), that will take place from 5 to 8 October 2022.
- The contest is open to any cartoonist from any country who has published at least one cartoon in the press since June 2021. Each cartoonist can submit only two drawings, black and white or color.
Two prizes will be awarded by the organizers :
- The first prize: 1500 euros on behalf of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
- The second prize: 750 euros on behalf by the organizers of DA22
- The winner of the first prize will be invited to Montpellier in France during the Desertif’actions 2022 event from October 05 to 08, 2022 where the prize and a dedicated creation will be awarded.
- All participants will receive a certificate of participation and the complete catalog of the submitted drawings.
- The submission of the drawing must be sent by email at the following address:
[email protected] (with the mention « DA 22 DRAWING CONTEST » in the subject of the email) before the deadline of August 20, 2022 at 00:00 hours in electronic format JPEG 300 dpi minimum for an A4 format.
- The submission must be accompanied by the full name, possible pseudonym, postal address and country, phone number or WhatsApp, email address, website, and 5 lines of biography of the author.
- If there’s subtitles or any text in the drawing, please send us translations in both French and English.
For More Information: