Application Deadline: 20 August 2018
The World Academy of Sciences Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Partner (TWAS-SAREP) seeks to honour an outstanding young scientist who has made significant contribution to research, development and capacity building to improve sustainability of water and sanitation-related activities and programmes in the developing world. This includes water harvesting, desalination, water efficiency, reducing pollution, eliminating dumping and minimising release of hazardous chemicals and materials. It can also cover protection and restoration of water-related ecosystems, wastewater treatment, recycling and reusing technologies.
The 2018 TWAS-SAREP Regional Young Scientists’ Prize is aligned to the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goal #6 on Clean Water and Sanitation. This goal strongly features in other SDGs and in the 7 Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy for Africa (STISA) 2024 priority areas. Water underpins every aspect of human and environmental existence. Water scarcity is a global concern that can be addressed through the expansion of international cooperation and capacity-building support mostly to developing countries.
The award comprises an award certificate with a citation on the winner’s scientific achievement, as well as a cash prize of 2000 USD. The winner will be announced at the Science Forum South Africa 2018.
- Nominees must be nationals of countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Nominees must be 40 years or below.
- Nominees must have made significant contributions to research, development and capacity building to improve sustainability of water and sanitation-related activities and programmes in the developing world.
- Nominees must be scientists who have been working and living in a developing country for at least ten years.
- Nominations are invited from TWAS and AAS fellows, fellow/members of National Academies and Young Academies in the region, Research Institutions, Research Councils and Universities in the region.
- The nomination of women and scientists from Science & Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs) is highly encouraged.
- Self-nominations will not be considered.
- Nominations accompanied by the Nomination Form (download) and all the relevant documents must be submitted to email@example.com by 20 August 2018.
For More Information: