Application Deadline: 2 February 2017, Japan Standard Time (GMT+0900).
UTRIP stands for the “University of Tokyo Research Internship Program.” This program was launched by the Graduate School of Science (GSS) of the University of Tokyo (one of the world’s leading research-education universities) as part of its campaign begun in June 2010 for promoting the internationalization of the GSS by inviting talented young students from abroad.
UTRIP is an intensive summer research program targeted at undergraduates who have a keen interest in pursuing an M.S. or Ph.D. degree in the future. During the program, the participants receive intensive instruction and guidance on conducting research from renowned faculty members belonging to the GSS’s five departments of physics, astronomy, chemistry, earth & planetary science, and biological sciences.
The program is open to students who are currently enrolled in the second or a later year at an accredited college or university outside of Japan, and who are majoring in a natural science or related field. Students participating in the program who are highly evaluated by the faculty members will be given priority for receiving the Graduate School of Science Scholarship for International Students (GSS Scholarship) when applying for admission to the GSS in the future. The program also includes an excursion outside of Tokyo as well as a short course on the Japanese language and culture.
Applicants for UTRIP must:
- Have completed at least one full year in a Bachelor’s degree program at the time of application.
- Be enrolled in and, after the UTRIP program ends, be expected to return to, at least another semester, quarter, or another equivalent academic term, in a Bachelor’s degree program (or a Bachelor’s-equivalent year of an integrated Bachelor’s-Master’s degree program) at a university outside of Japan.
＊At selection, the priority for nomination is given to applicants expected to be in their third year of a four-year Bachelor’s degree program and to applicants expected to be in their second year of a three-year Bachelor’s degree program. Second-year students in four-year Bachelor’s degree programs are also encouraged to apply.
- Be enrolled in a natural science or related field.
- Be thinking of pursuing long-term career goals in a scientific area.
- Be planning to commit to the entire six consecutive weeks of the UTRIP program (June 9 to July 20 for 1st Crew students, and June 28 to August 8 for 2nd Crew students) on a full-time basis.
- Be able to present coverage of a health insurance plan that is effective during the internship program before arriving in Japan.
- English proficiency: test scores of TOEFL or an equivalent English proficiency test (such as IELTS) are required if English is not your first language. Test scores that have already expired are accepted, as long as the applicant is still able to produce proof of the test scores upon request by the UTRIP office. Students who have received an English-medium education continuously for the past 8 years are exempted from submitting English proficiency test scores.
Financial support to cover participation expenses: UTRIP participants will be granted financial support to cover their costs and expenses in two forms:
(1) The Graduate School of Science (GSS) Scholarship for UTRIP-Related Expenses (“GSS-UTRIP Scholarship”), and
(2) the FUTI Award (Friends of UTokyo, Inc.) Please note that the FUTI Award is applicable to students who are currently enrolled in U. S. universities regardless of their citizenship. When an applicant is selected to receive the FUTI Award, he or she cannot concurrently receive a GSS-UTRIP Scholarship. A GSS-UTRIP Scholarship will be applicable when an application to the FUTI Award is rejected by the sponsor.
For More Information: