Application Deadline: 30th of September 2016.
Wiki Loves Monuments is an international photo contest for monuments, organized by Wikimedia this September. Wikimedia is the movement behind Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia – a global collaboration authored by volunteers.
Cultural heritage is an important part of the knowledge Wikipedia collects and disseminates. Everybody can contribute images as well as write articles. An image is worth a thousand words, in every language at once and local enthusiasts can (re)discover the cultural, historical, or scientific significance of their neighbourhood.
In 2012, Wikipedia volunteer communities in 35 countries have joined this initiative, and also in 2013 volunteers are enthusiastically paving the way to make participation easy for others. In nearly 40 countries all over the world, a national contest will be organized with their national monuments, partners, rules, events and winners.
Every national contest will be able to nominate some of their winning pictures for the international contest. These nominated pictures will be judged by the international jury, which will then award extra prizes to the best images from all participating countries
There are a few rules for photos to participate in the international contest. Most of these rules are also adopted as rules for participation on a national level. Every submission should be:
- Self taken and self uploaded;
- Uploaded in September 2016;
- Freely licensed;
- Contain an identified monument;
- Nominated through a national contest
Next to that, there are a few practical rules:
- The participant should have an activated e-mail address on the upload platform;
- The first winner will get to choose the first prize etc.
Prize : International contest
The national juries will nominate photos for the international contest, which has its own jury and awards.
There are five prizes available for the international contest:
- one scholarship (travel grant) with a maximum value of €2000 for Wikimania (August 2017, Montreal, Canada)
- two €1000 voucher/cash prizes
- two €500 voucher/cash prizes.
The top 5 winners of the international contest will be asked to give their preference regarding the prizes.
On top of the general prizes, this year we also have one special category prize:
- The highest scoring picture from a member state of the Council of Europe will receive a printed copy of his/her winning photo signed by Maestro Plácido Domingo, the president of Europa Nostra. Sponsored by Europa Nostra.
For More Information: