Application Deadline: FEBRUARY 6, 2018 AT 11:59 PM EST
The Yale Young Global Scholars Program (YYGS) is a summer academic enrichment and leadership program that brings together outstanding high school students from around the world for intensive two-week sessions on Yale’s campus in New Haven and the Yale Center Beijing in China. YYGS offers six unique sessions in New Haven and one session in Beijing, China. Yale Young Global Scholars is an official Yale University program.
Participants attending a YYGS session in New Haven can expect an amazing summer experience studying in beautiful campus lecture halls and classrooms, living in Yale’s historic residential colleges, eating in award-winning dining halls, meeting a talented community of fellow students, engaging with world-renowned professors, and interacting with extraordinary visiting practitioners.
Participants attending a YYGS session in Beijing, China will have the opportunity to experience Yale’s world-renowned education while exploring one of the most culturally-vibrant and influential cities in the world. In addition to bringing some of Yale’s most renowned professors to China, this session will take advantage of its location by inviting distinguished professionals with real-life experience to lecture on relevant, important issues. Students will also have the opportunity to visit significant cultural sites, such as the Great Wall and the Forbidden City. YYGS-Beijing is limited to 90 students, making an intimate atmosphere for students to learn and make connections with their instructors and peers. This is the third year YYGS is offering a session in China, but the first time it is doing so during the summer.
In addition to the session at Yale Center Beijing, which will run from July 26 – August 8, YYGS will continue to offer the following sessions on Yale’s campus:
- Applied Science & Engineering (ASE): June 17 – June 30
- International Affairs & Security (IAS): June 17 – June 30
- Frontiers of Science & Technology (FST): July 8 – July 21
- Sustainable Development & Social Entrepreneurship (SDSE): July 8 – July 21
- Biology & Biomedical Science (BBS): July 27 – August 9
- Politics, Law & Economics (PLE): July 27 – August 9
A student in the program must have:
- an excellent academic record
- demonstrated leadership potential
- strong written and verbal communication skills
- a desire and ability to work cooperatively with peers
- a good work ethic
- an ability to read, analyze, and reflect on large quantities of difficult material in English
- high standards of personal and professional conduct
- The YYGS program is open to students, typically between the ages of 15 and 17, who have one or two years of high school to complete after they attend the program.
- Applicants must be in US Grade 10 or US Grade 11 (or the international equivalent) at the time of application. YYGS accepts applicants from ALL countries.
- For 2018 YYGS, eligible applicants will graduate high school in May /June 2019 or May /June 2020.
- Tuition for each session of the 2018 Yale Young Global Scholars Program is $6,000 USD, which includes instruction, housing on one of Yale’s historic residential colleges in New Haven or a hotel conveniently located near the Yale Center Beijing in China, three meals per day, and optional health insurance.
Need-Based Financial Aid
- Yale Young Global Scholars provides need-based financial aid to students with demonstrated financial need, which is offered as a discount on tuition (up to $6,000 USD, 100% of tuition). The application for financial aid is included in the online program application and must be completed by the 2018 application deadline.
- In order to qualify for our need-based financial aid, applicants must submit detailed financial information, and it is recommended that parents or guardians of applicants help students complete the required financial information. Last year, approximately one third of program participants received partial to full financial assistance to attend the program. Unfortunately, YYGS financial aid cannot cover travel expenses, and we cannot guarantee financial aid to all those who apply for it.
In all cases, applicants must provide:
- all annual household income for the past three years, the number of individuals in the household, as well as other information relating to your household’s financial status
- a statement of need explaining why the applicant is applying for need-based financial assistance to attend the program
- additional supporting documentation, which varies depending on if you are a U.S. applicant or international applicant
- YYGS reserves the right to request more documentation if necessary
For U.S. applicants, supporting documentation should include your parent or legal guardian’s federal income tax return from the most recent year available (2016 or 2017).
For international applicants, supporting documentation should include at least one or more of the following (please submit as many as can be conveniently be provided):
- copy of the most recent income tax forms from the country where your parents/legal guardians pay taxes
- a letter from parents/legal guardians employer stating position, salary, all benefits, and years of service
- a letter from a bank stating the amount of funds available to parents/legal guardians or applicant
- a copy of an award of any scholarship or loans that the student receives
Thanks to generous donors, YYGS is able to offer various full-tuition scholarships that sometimes include travel. These scholarships are normally named and they vary from year to year. Eligible students will receive an email whenever one is available. In order to be considered for one of these scholarships, you must fulfill the scholarship’s eligibility requirements and complete the need-based financial aid application. Examples of named scholarships include the Middle East Student Leadership Award, YYGS-Qooco Scholarship, and YYGS-Arconic Scholarship.
The YYGS application requires:
- resume / activities list
- official school transcript
- two recommendations
- standardized test scores, if available (these are not required)
- one 500 word essay and two 200 word essays
- application fee
The application fee for 2018 is $60, and can be payable online after the application has been submitted. YYGS will waive the application fee if it would constitute a significant financial burden for the student’s family. The application fee waiver form must be submitted with the financial aid portion of your application.
Applicants will be notified electronically of admissions decisions by late March or early April.
For More Information: