Application Deadline: January 31st 2015
Motivated and talented international students interested in participating in an international master programme of the Faculty of Science of the KU Leuven are invited to apply for a scholarship.
For the following masters you can apply for the Scholarship :
- Master of Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Master of Biology
- Master of Biophysics, Biochemistry and Biotechnology
- Master of Chemistry
- Master of Geography
- Interuniversity Master of Geology (only students applying for the specialisation Geodynamics and Georesources or Surface processes and Paleoenvironments can apply for the scholarship. Students applying for the other specialisations (enrollment at Ghent University) will not be considered for the scholarship.)
- Master of Mathematics
- Master of Physics
- Master of Statistics
- Erasmus Mundus Master of Theoretical Chemistry and Computational Modelling
Students applying for the QASS-programme of the Master of Statistics are excluded from the Science@Leuven Scholarship, since this programme requires a master diploma
he amount of the scholarship can be up to 10.000 Euro for 1 year. The Board of the Science@Leuven Fund will decide exactly how much a scholarship will be. The scholarship will always cover the tuition fee for 1 year, the insurance and a basic health insurance coverage. The amount awarded for living expenses can vary.
If a student is awarded the full scholarship of 10.000 Euro, it is still advisable to bring some extra money. The expenses for a full year at the KU Leuven is estimated to be about 11.000 euro.
Most master programmes of the Faculty of Science are 2-year programmes. The scholarship for the second master year will be only be continued for students having had outstanding results the first master year.
Applicants must meet and prove the following requirements:
- the applicants have not studied or worked at the University of Leuven before,
- the applicants have a bachelor degree from a foreign university that gives them access to the master programme they are applying for,
- the applicants have not yet acquired a master degree or a PhD,
- the applicants can prove having had excellent study results during their former training,
- the applicants can prove a very strong knowledge of English,
- the applicants show strong motivation to follow a master programme at the Faculty of Science of the KU Leuven
- the applicants are willing to act as an ambassador for the programme.
- Applicants have to apply for the master programme of their choice through the application form of the KU Leuven.
- The applicants note in the application form that they want to apply for the Science@Leuven Scholarship.
- After having completed the application form of the official KULeuven application page, applicants register here. The id-account asked is the same account as on the application form of the KU Leuven.
- Additionally to the information required by the KU Leuven, the applicants also upload the following information through their application form of the KU Leuven:
- a complete list of course titles for which they have obtained a credit Indicate the course size (in ECTS-credits) and the result they obtained, preferably according to the ECTS-scale; if a different scale is used, please provide an summary explanation on the meaning of the scores;
- for the courses that they deem most relevant as a preparation for the master that they are considering, provide a short (about one half to one page) description according to the standard guidelines for an ECTS-study guide;
- two reference letters of internationally renowned professors;
- a letter of motivation for the programme.
Deadline Application procedure
Only applications that have been submitted( with the International Office and registered on the website of the scholarship) before the 31st of January will be considered for the scholarship.
Time Path Selection procedure
- 1st of March till end of March:
research if all the requirements for admission to the Master programme have been met.
- Beginning of April:
Research if all the requirements for application for the scholarship have been met.
- From mid-April till end of April
The Selection committee makes a ranking of the students who have been selected for the Scholarship.
- Beginning of May
The Board of the Science@Leuven Fund awards the scholarships and the students are being notified of their status.
For More Information: