Application Deadline: June 3oth 2015
CIVICUS is proud to announce one United Nations (UN) Learning Exchange opportunity, sponsored by Irish Aid, focused on Strengthening the Voice of African Civil Society and human rights defenders in the international human rights system. The position will be based at the CIVICUS UN Office in Geneva from 7 September to 7 December 2015.
This Learning Exchange is designed to familiarize the candidate with the United Nations system and bring information pertaining to African civil society to the Human Rights Council (HRC), the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) process, and Special Procedures, (Special Rapporteurs and Working Groups are part of Special Procedures).
During a three-month period the candidate will be based in Geneva Switzerland, and work under the direct supervision of the Head of the Geneva Office. He/she will assist in the preparation of reports or statements and help to coordinate engagement during the 30th Session of the Human Rights Council, the 23rd UPR session, the Minority Forum and the Forum on Business and Human Rights.
Qualifications and Experience
• A degree in Human Rights, International Affairs or a related field;
• Experience of working with human rights community in one or more African countries and a thorough knowledge of regional human rights issues within Africa;
• Fluency in English is essential, French would be an advantage;
• Demonstrated professionalism, diplomatic skills and analytical diligence;
• Willingness to travel to Geneva for three months.
Interns will receive accommodation in Geneva, round trip airfare and a stipend of €600 a month to cover living costs.
To apply for this Learning Exchange opportunity, please send the following by email to [email protected] by 30 June 2015.
• A copy of your current curriculum vitae (CV);
• A letter explaining your interest in this post, and what skills and experience you would bring;
• Contact details of three referees who we may contact if you are considered for this post.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application – ‘Opportunities For Africans’
Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
For More Information: