Application Deadline: 14th June 2015
DURATION OF THE PROGRAMME: The selected candidates will be offered a twelve months sponsorship.
LUMP SUM: A monthly lump sum of EUR 2,000 per month, to be paid at the end of each month.
DATE OF ENTRY ON DUTY: 1st August or 1st September 2015
DUTY STATION: Madrid (Spain)
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is the United Nations agency responsible for the
promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism.
In 2015, UNWTO will continue the PhD Research Programme, successfully started in 2014, which
will offer again two PhD students the opportunity to contribute to the UNWTO programme for Sustainable Development of Tourism (SDT).
The main aim of this programme is to support research to advance the general knowledge and further broaden ones’ understanding about the importance of sustainable and resilient tourism at the international level
- The PhD Research Programme will be located in Madrid, Spain, at UNWTO headquarters, working with the SDT Programme.
- Successful candidates will be sponsored for a period of 12 months and are expected to work under the supervision of the Director of the SDT programme and/or another staff member in the programme.
- Appropriate logistics (i.e., first-hand access to meetings and UN processes; internal access to all UNWTO documents and database and other relevant industry data and processes; own office space, computer and internet accessibility) will be made available.
ELIGIBILITY & CONDITIONS:
The researchers should possess the following knowledge and skills :
- Applicants must be enrolled in doctoral studies and be external collaborative PhD students, but should not be in their final year of study.
- The lump sum should be used to finance the one year stay abroad in Madrid and should not be used for tuition or other fees related to the PhD degree.
- The successful candidate must have excellent written and spoken English.
- Applicants must be computer literate in Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010 software,Internet and emerging Web tools,and should be able to operate standard office equipment (e.g. scanner, photocopier, etc.); experience with data management software is an asset; have a keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs.
- Applicants must have academic background in international affairs, sustainable development, international and/or development economics, aviation and transportation management, environmental affairs or related fields.
- The successful PhD candidate shall conduct himself/herself at all times in a manner befitting his/her status as a holder of a UNWTO research grant. Any serious infringement
of this general rule may lead, after consultation with the authorities concerned, to thetermination of the research.
Applicants must possess a medical certificate indicating that he/she is in good health and able to undertake the research programme.
The researcher shall be in possession of a major global medical insurance coverage to be paid by him/her.
The UNWTO is not in any way committed to employ the researcher upon completion ofUNWTO research.
The researcher shall be responsible for all matters pertaining to his/her stay in Madrid.PROPOSAL EVALUATION:PhD research applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
Linkages between original PhD study and UNWTO research subjects
Scientific benefit of the PhD research project for UNWTO, conferences and officialpublications
Completeness of application
Fulfillment of general conditions
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS:
All applications must include the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae that includes your contact details
- 1-2 page motivation letter
- Linkages between PhD study and UNWTO research
- Academic transcripts
- Letter of support from PhD supervisor
- All applications must be written in English Applications will only be accepted if completed and according to application requirements.
- Applications should be submitted via email to the following address: email@example.com
For More Information: