Application Deadline: Ongoing
The YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa is looking for young men and women between the ages of 18 and 35 from Burundi, Central African Republic, Congo, DRC, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, and Uganda who are ready to embrace leadership and work hard to transform their countries.
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by President of the United States Barack Obama as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. The need to invest in grooming strong, results-oriented leaders comes out of the statistics:
Who will empower and lead these young Africans? Who will shape the future of business and entrepreneurship, civic leadership, and public management? In order to answer these questions, YALI promotes three models designed to identify and empower young leaders: the YALI Mandela Washington Fellowship, YALI Network, and now the establishment of Regional Leadership Centers across Africa.
YALI Regional Leadership Centers
- Initially, there will be four Regional Leadership Centers (Ghana, Kenya, Senegal, and South Africa). These Centers will serve as regional hubs across the continent to encourage transformational learning and enhancing leadership skills.
- The YALI Regional Leadership Centers are a project of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in close partnership with The MasterCard Foundation. Each Regional Leadership Center is managed under a public/private partnership.
Selected participants will engage in innovative leadership training across three tracks of study:
(1) Business and Entrepreneurship,
(2) Civic Leadership, and
(3) Public Management by immersing themselves in a 12-week format (three weeks of residential learning on-site at the Center in Nairobi, eight weeks of virtual distance learning via technology from your home country, and a final week on-site at the Center in Nairobi for wrap-up and presentations).
- During the program, participants in their chosen track will be required to contribute individually and in teams to an interactive and experiential education course through project-based development and achievement.
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa is merit-based and open to young East African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Burundi, Central African Republic. Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda,
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Kenya, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
- Networking : Build a leadership network throughout East Africa
- Mentorship : Gain experience and guidance from proven leaders
- Scholarship : Learn cutting-edge leadership techniques
- Trusteeship : Build better communities by becoming involved in shaping the future
- Technology : Study in a high-tech environment that brings leadership skills to your front door
- Collaboration : Work in teams, embrace innovation, learn by doing
- Selection for participation in the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition.
- All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- A demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
For More Information: