Application Deadline: April 29th, 2016
The Zawadi Africa Education Fund is a program designed to provide scholarships to academically gifted girls from disadvantaged backgrounds from Africa to pursue higher education in the US. The Zawadi Africa Education Fund is based on the highly successful Kennedy/Mboya Student airlifts of the 1960′s, through a partnership with individuals and institutions with an interest in creating leadership.
- Be a girl
- Has demonstrated academic excellence (A)
- · Has demonstrated leadership qualities.(A prefect, demonstrates initiative)
- · Has overcome insurmountable odds to attain academic excellence (financially)
A girl who has completed her secondary school examination (i.e. The Kenya Certificate of Secondary Examination (KCSE) within the last two years (2014 and 2015).
Has demonstrated academic excellence ( A-or A Plain or a B+ under exceptional circumstances i.e. From marginalized areas)
Has demonstrated leadership qualities e.g. in school as a prefect , in the community, church, leadership in peer related activities etc.)
Has overcome insurmountable odds such as serious financial challenges, oppressive social-cultural practices such as early marriages and Female Genital Mutilation ( FGMetc. in order to attain academic excellence.
Has demonstrated a clear financial need.
- On average, the program pays for less than 10% of the total cost of a 4-year education, with the balance funded by merit based college grants and scholarships.
- The students are all required to be partners in this initiative, by holding down on- campus jobs to pay for books and incidentals
How to Apply
- If you meet the above criteria, please download the Zawadi 2016 Application form:
For More Information: