Application Deadline: September 15 2015
In an effort to promote human capital development, the IRENA Scholarship Programme was launched in 2012.
As part of the programme, up to 20 highly-accomplished applicants are annually awarded an International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) scholarship at the Abu Dhabi based Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (MI), with the generous support of the Government of the United Arab Emirates.
The IRENA scholarship programme offers various opportunities in addition to the Masdar Institute Scholarship. These include exclusive high-level lectures, aimed at presenting the latest developments in the field of renewable energies.
Furthermore, the scholarship programme offers: IRENA sponsored short term assignments to scholars on a case by case basis; opportunities for participation in IRENA events; internships; and most importantly, the opportunity to network.
- Relevant undergraduate degree from a college, university or technical college of acceptable standing in the field of science, engineering or information technology
- Minimum CGPA required: 3.0 on a scale of 4.0.
- Competence in spoken and written English. Minimum TOEFL score: 91 (IBT) on the international TOEFL. Minimum academic IELTS score: 6.5
- Minimum GRE quantitative score: 700(or 155 on the new scale).
- Academic record and credentials must indicate the ability to achieve distinction.
Scholarship Open for International Students: International students (priority will be given to applicants from developing countries) can apply for this IRENA scholarship programme.
- All accepted students at Masdar Institute receive a full scholarship for 2 years, which includes tuition, textbooks, housing, medical insurance, laptops and travel expenses with no bonds upon graduation.
- Additionally, the institute also provides each student with the cost of living allowance for other expenditures.
- The applications received for the IRENA Scholarship Programme shall be selected as per the following selection criteria, with candidates being ranked in accordance with their overall score. The top 20 students are selected.
- Interest in renewable energy technologies and their applications and Interest in International Development Projects in particular specific IRENA projects.
- Strong motivation and clear approach for development of knowledge, skills and experiences in a specific focus area and Preference to focus areas which are mutually relevant to IRENA and Masdar.
- Academic accomplishments in terms of prior education, achievements, certifications, GRE and TOEFL scores.
- Diversity of background is preferred and Relevant work experience to match interests in specific focus areas.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates aiming for foundation or graduate level education at the Masdar Institute can apply for the IRENA Scholarship Programme through two possible ways:
Applications can be submitted through the online Masdar Institute application platform, by selecting the box for ‘IRENA scholarship’ in addition to the ‘Masdar Institute scholarship’ box. The candidates for IRENA scholarship shall be selected from the applicants who have been successfully admitted to Masdar Institute and have successfully met the criteria stated for IRENA scholarships.It is important to comply with the Masdar Institute selection criteria to be accepted for the Masdar Institute Graduate Programme and also for the IRENA scholarship.
- Once admitted to Masdar Institute, the students can also submit their IRENA application by the 15th of September annually to Joice Priya, Academic Programmes Supervisor, email: [email protected]. The applications should mention the student’s faculty at Masdar and include an up-to-date CV, together with a statement or letter of purpose.
For More Information: