Application Deadline: October 28th 2016
AWARD is proud to announce that Gender in Agribusiness Investments in Africa (GAIA) is now accepting applications from institutions and enterprises for the 2016 GAIA AgriTech Innovation Challenge. GAIA has been launched by AWARD to increase agribusiness investments in technological and business model innovations that benefit African women value chain actors. GAIA aims to create and manage an “AgTech solutions market place” that ensures visibility, commercialization and scaling up of agricultural research innovations (AgTech) by African women scientists.
Call for Innovations
Do you have a big idea that has been piloted successfully in East Africa that focuses on:
- Closing yield gaps in crop and livestock value chains?
- Reducing postharvest losses?
- Improving agri-market efficiencies?
AWARD are looking for institutions and business enterprises with innovations spanning the research-to-commercialization continuum, and those addressing business model re-invention.
Innovations should contribute towards transforming agricultural practices in Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania for improved incomes and food security for smallholder farmers, especially women. The AgTech innovations should demonstrate clear benefits to women smallholder farmers, and other women value chain actors. They should be scalable across multiple geographies in sub-Saharan Africa.
AWARD GAIA is looking for enterprises that:
- Are in the agriculture or allied sectors with an innovative technology or business model
- Are women-led or have women managers
- Have an experienced, credible and dedicated investors and management team
- Have a clear for-profit business model with high potential for scale
- Have some proof of concept on the ground, conducted pilots and are preferably generating revenues
- Are looking for funding to commercialize/scale
- Have operations in Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania
- The top 20 companies will be chosen from the applicants to participate in an in-depth boot camp, and then be showcased to investors, incubators, and other support organizations in Nairobi, Kenya in November 7-10, 2016.
- The goal of this challenge is to support promising women working in agriculture to refine their business models, and help connect them to additional influencers in the agriculture sector.
To apply, please complete this application form; for any enquiries, please contact: [email protected] Submissions will be evaluated on a rolling basis until 28th October 2016. Early submissions are encouraged, and winners will be notified on 31st October 2016.
For More Information: