Submission Deadline Extended: April 4th 2016
The CNN MultiChoice African Journalist Competition is the most prestigious and respected Award for journalists across the African Continent. Its objective is to reinforce the importance of the role of journalists in Africa’s development and to reward, recognise and encourage journalistic talent across all media disciplines.
- The Competition is open to African professional journalists, whether directly employed or freelancers, working in the continent of Africa who have produced a story which has been made available as a printed publication or broadcast through an electronic medium (television; radio or digital platform) whose primary audience are based in Africa.
- All entrants must be an African National and be at least eighteen years of age
- The Competition is held in English, French and Portuguese languages. Entries in other languages are accepted however must be accompanied by full English translation; subtitles or transcript.
- Applicants are strictly limited to a maximum of two entries across all categories of the Competition.
Open to journalists working in any medium, this year the competition will recognise excellence in the following categories:
- Culture Award
- Dow Technology & Innovation Reporting Award
- Ecobank Economics & Business Award
- Features Award
- Francophone General News Award – Electronic Media
- GE Energy & Infrastructure Award
- Mohamed Amin Photographic Award
- MSD Health & Medical Award
- News Impact Award
- Portuguese Language General News Awards
- Press Freedom Award
- Sport Reporting Award
- The African Development Bank Environment Award
- The Maggie Eales Young Journalist Award
- The journalists selected by the panel of judges will enjoy an all-expenses paid finalists’ programme of networking activities and workshops, culminating in the Gala Awards Ceremony.
- Each finalist will receive a cash prize, with each category winner also receiving a laptop computer and printer.
- The CNN MultiChoice African Journalist 2016 Award winner will be selected from the category winners and will receive an additional cash prize and will have the opportunity to participate in the CNN Journalism Fellowship at CNN Headquarters in Atlanta.
They will be looking for entries which:
- Tell the story in a balanced, comprehensive and objective manner
- Demonstrate journalistic integrity
- Show originality and resourcefulness in crafting their story
- Communicate the story in a way that makes the topic accessible and relevant to their audience.
- Display well organised research and insight.
- Was broadcast or published, in English, French or Portuguese, between January and December 2015 with proof supplied.
How to Enter
- English, French and Portuguese entries are to be submitted using the online entry form on this site.
- You can only enter a maximum of 2 stories across all categories. Please carefully review your work of 2015 and enter your best story/stories in the most suitable category. You may enter a maximum of 2 stories, either both into a single category or 1 each into different categories.
- Fill in all the details requested on the entry form and upload all requested information.
- Ensure you upload a copy of your up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and any background information on your entry/entries, that you feel relevant.
- All story materials must be submitted in electronic format:
- Print – Please include the PDF scan(s) of the published article. The text of the article must be legible. Maximum file size: 5 MB – Allowed format: PDF only.
- Radio – Upload the SoundCloud link (SoundCloud is an online audio distribution platform that enables its users to upload and share their originally-created sounds).
- Digital – Working weblink (URL) (screenshots of websites are not accepted)
- Photo – Upload the photo(s) as well as a scan(s) of where the photo(s) was (were) published. Maximum file size: 10 MB – Allowed extensions: png gif jpg jpeg.
- TV Material – Upload the YouTube link (YouTube is a video sharing platform).
For More Information: