The Global Teacher Prize is a US $1 million award presented annually to an exceptional teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to their profession.
The prize serves to underline the importance of educators and the fact that, throughout the world, their efforts deserve to be recognised and celebrated. It seeks to acknowledge the impacts of the very best teachers – not only on their students but on the communities around them.
The Global Teacher Prize is awarded by the Varkey Foundation under the patronage of HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice President, Prime Minister, and Emir of Dubai.
To be eligible, an Applicant must:
- be at least eighteen (18) years old at time of entry;
- teach or provide educational support to students between the ages of 5 and 18 in a compulsory setting;
- not be prohibited from participating in the Contest or receiving the Prize under applicable law;
- not have a criminal record;
- not have conducted themselves (by act or omission) in such a way as to bring the teaching profession or VF, its affiliates, or their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, and subsidiaries (“VF Parties”) into disrepute (as may be determined at the sole discretion of VF);
- not be a previous Prize winner; and
- not be a previous Top 10 candidate.
The judges will evaluate Applications based on the following criteria:
- Recognition of a teacher’s achievements in the classroom and beyond from pupils, colleagues, head-teachers or members of the wider community;
- Employing innovative and effective instructional practices;
- Achieving demonstrable student learning outcomes in the classroom;
- Preparing children to be global citizens in a world where they will encounter people from many different religions, cultures and nationalities;
- Achievements in the community beyond the classroom that provide unique and distinguished models of excellence for the teaching profession and others;
- Encouraging others to joint he teaching profession. Contributing to public debates on the teaching profession, whether through writing articles, blogs, media participation, social media campaigns, events of conferences
- TheGlobal Teacher Prize Judging Academy includes public officials, head teachers, academics, journalists, entrepreneurs, company directors, scientists and entertainment industry figures from around the world.
- They share the common goal of shining a spotlight on the great work that teachers do and use a comprehensive list of judging criteria.
- To ensure fairness and transparency, the process is overseen by PwC.
How to enter:
To enter, complete the application form and follow the instructions on the website www.globalteacherprize.org.
For More Information: