Application Deadline: February 8th 2016
Job Title: Intern
Position Level: Young Professional
Duty Station: NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency, Mid rand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Supervisor: Advisor, NEPAD Science and Technology Innovation Hub
Intern to support Policy Analysis and Data Management, NEPAD Science and Technology Innovation Hub (NSTIH).
The New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) is a programme of the African Union adopted in 2001 in Lusaka, Zambia, aimed primarily at poverty alleviation and promotion of economic growth and sustainable development in Africa. As a consequence of the integration of NEPAD into the structures and processes of the African Union, the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency (NPCA) has been established by the Decision of the 14th AU Assembly of February 2010 as the technical body of the African Union, in replacement of the NEPAD Secretariat.
The Young Professionals Programme is aimed at providing a pool of talented, multidisciplinary young professionals who will assist the NPCA achieve its mandate. The
YPP focuses on three (3) key programme- components:
a. Internship Programme: to provide opportunities for graduate and postgraduate students from diverse academic backgrounds to enhance their educational experience through practical work assignments and periodic attachments at the NEPAD Agency.
b. Fellowship Programme: to assist AU Member States especially NEPAD national focal points to have an in-depth understanding of the NPCA mandate and NEPAD implementation.
c. Volunteer Programme: to mobilize volunteers to serve and support the NEPAD Agenda and African development in general.
The YPP roll-out will be implemented in stages through the Agency’s Directorates, Divisions, Programmes and Units. Accordingly, the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency is seeking the placement of an Intern, who is a citizen of the African Union (AU) Member States, to support Policy Analysis and Data Management, under the NEPAD Young Professionals Programme (YPP).
Required Skills and Competencies
• Demonstrated commitment to the African development (field experience on the continent and/or in other developing countries is an added advantage).
• Knowledge in research methodology, data collection, entry, statistical data analysis and reporting is a requirement.
• Ability to design studies including identification of variables and appropriate analysis methodology, designing of data collection tools and plan for data collection.
• Ability to conduct interview with respondents, conduct focus group discussions and review of existing documents.
• Ability to interpret statistical data analysis results.
• Ability to draft reports.
• Citizen of an AU member country or an African in the Diaspora
• High level of integrity and accountability, flexible approaches to work coupled with
enthusiasm, commitment and energetic.
• Maintain confidentiality at the highest level at all times.
• Possess good analytical and excellent interpersonal skills.
• Fluency in English; knowledge of French will be considered as an asset.
• Good judgment and analytical ability.
• Proactive approach to foresee road-blocks and resolve them.
• Excellent communication skills
Educational and Experience:
- Candidates must hold a minimum of a university degree in Economics, Statistics, Social Sciences or related technical field, while current enrolment or the completion of a post- graduate degree will be an added advantage.
- Candidates should have two (2) to five (5) years post-University qualifications.
Other relevant skills
• Proficient with statistical data analysis packages such as SPSS, Stata, Microsoft Access and any other data analysis packages.
• Good knowledge of MS- Office suite
Tenure of Placement :
The placement will be made on a NEPAD short-term contract for 6 months in line with the Agency’s YPP.
The NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency is an equal opportunity employer and qualified female young professionals are strongly encouraged to apply for the placement.
Application for Placement:
To apply, please submit the following:
a. A motivation letter stating reasons for seeking YPP position with the NEPAD Agency
b. Curriculum vitae (CV) not exceeding three (3) pages and indicating your nationality, age and gender.
c. One (1) referee with good knowledge of the candidate’s work, furnishing full contact details, telephone, fax and e-mail addresses.
d. Certified copies of degrees and diplomas.
H. Remuneration: In line with the NEPAD Young Professionals Programme (YPP), the remuneration is in form of a stipend / basic allowance.
I. Applications must be received not later than Monday, 08 February 2016, and should be addressed to:
NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency
P O Box 1234 Halfway House Midrand, 1685
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For More Information: