Application Deadline: 10th August 2015
The BecA-ILRI Hub seeks to strengthen the capacity of the African scientific community, to conduct bioscience research and significantly contribute to improved agricultural products that can enhance livelihoods of farmers in the region.
As part of this capacity building programme, the BecA-ILRI Hub in collaboration with SLU will hold a training workshop on Advanced Genomics and Bioinformatics commencing from 7th– 18th September 2015. The workshop aims to provide a learning forum for researchers in bioinformatics, computational biology as well as scientists utilizing computational methods in their research.
• A national of one of the BecA countries: Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda.
• Affiliated with a national research program or university in the East African BecA region
• Currently engaged in biosciences research
• a minimum of MSc in biological sciences
• Good working knowledge of written and spoken English
• Online application form completed by 10th August 2015:
- BecA-ILRI Hub are seeking applicants from East and Central Africa who require advanced skills in Bioinformatics to support their research.
- A total of 25 graduate students and early career researchers will be selected based on evidence of productive research and relevance of the training to their current research.
- Applicants who are currently engaged in agricultural research within a national research institute or a university are highly encouraged to apply.
- Selected participants will attend an intensive 2 weeks training workshop at the BecA-ILRI Hub in Nairobi, Kenya.
- The program includes comprehensive lectures and hands-on training sessions in Linux, Genomics and Next generation sequencing technologies, Genome and transcriptome assembly, Metagenome and metagenomic analysis tools and their applications to biological research.
- A team of creditable facilitators from the SLU, New York University and BecA-ILRI Hub (Kenya) will conduct the training.
- Applications received after deadline and incomplete applications will not be considered. Successful applicants will be notified by 14 August 2015.
For More Information: