Application Deadline: 31st of July 2017.
The call for applications to the 2018 Graduate School programme will be open from the 16th of June to the 31st of July 2017.
Prospective students may apply for full scholarships, which amounts to at least R138 000 per year for three years. The Graduate School allocates these scholarships by considering each application on its own merit.
Candidates must meet the minimum criteria to be considered for a scholarship:
- A candidate has to meet the minimum criteria for admission to a PhD at Stellenbosch University. This requires a master’s degree in the relevant discipline or, in exceptional circumstances, an equivalent qualification.
- Candidates must have achieved a grade of 65% in their master’s programmes.
- Candidates must be under forty years of age when the programme commences in January.
- Only applications in one of the Faculty’s Research Themes will be considered.
- All students who meet the above criteria will be considered.
Follow these steps to apply for the 2018 cohort of the graduate school:
- Read the criteria for eligibility stated above
- Fill in the application form:
- You will be required to write a letter motivating your suitability for the scholarship (maximum length: one A4 page), as well as a research proposal (no maximum length) on one or more selected research topics or problems which you intend to study in the course of your doctoral programme. These should be completed on the appl ication form in the relevant sections.
- Please consult the 2018 Research Themes to guide you in choosing a research topic. Research topics outside the listed research themes can be accommodated only if it falls within the current research themes that are active in one of the Faculty’s academic departments.
- Please note that scholarships can only be awarded where the Faculty is able to appoint a suitable supervisor for the topic to be studied.
- Please ensure that your three references are informed that their referee reports stating your capability to complete doctoral studies should be sent directly to the Graduate School via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to on or before 31 July 2017.
- Send your completed application form electronically to: email@example.com
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not received communication from the Graduate School Office by the 9th of October 2017, the application should be considered as unsuccessful.
- The new intake of PhD will commence their studies on the 15th of January 2018.
Dr Jaco Franken (firstname.lastname@example.org) Manager: Graduate School
For More Information: