Application Deadline: Varying by Course
VLIR-UOS is offering full Masters scholarships & training programme in Belgium to students from Developing countries – half of this scholarship will be offered to African students and preference will be given for Women.
Only the following English taught courses at Belgian Flemish universities or university colleges are eligible for scholarships:
Master programmes (September 2017)
- Master of Human Settlements
- Master of Science in Food Technology
- Master of Aquaculture (IMAQUA)
- Master of Epidemiology
- Master of Development Evaluation and Management
- Master of Governance and Development
- Master of Globalization and Development
- Master of Agro-and Environmental Nematology
- Master of Rural Development
- Master of Statistics
- Master of Water Resources Engineering
- Master of Sustainable Territorial Development
- Master of Transportation Sciences
- Master of Cultures and Development Studies
- Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (Ocenas and Lakes
Training programmes organised in 2017 (14-90 days)
- Sustainable Development and Human Rights Law (SUSTLAW) (13/02/2017-05/05/2017) – deadline for applications: 2/11/2016
- Health Management in Aquaculture
- Audio-visual Leaning Materials – Management, Production and Activities (AVLM)
- Food Safety, Quality Assurance and Risk Analysis
- Modern breeding techniques of maize
- I-EBQ (International training on Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Qualitative research methods)
- Clinical Nutrition – the North-South experience
You can only apply for a scholarship if you meet the following requisites.
- Nationality and Country of Residence
A candidate should be a national and resident of one of the following 31 countries (not necessarily the same country) at the time of application:
Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Cameroon, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Niger
Asia: Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia, Palestinian Territories, Vietnam
Latin America: Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Nicaragua, Peru
The maximum age for a Master programme candidate is 35 years for an initial masters and 40 years for an advanced masters. The maximum age for a training candidate is 45 years. The candidate cannot succeed this age on January 1 of the intake year
- Professional background and experience
VLIR-UOS gives priority to candidates who are employed in academic institutions, research institutes, governments, social economy or NGO’s, or aim a career in one of these sectors. However, also candidates employed in the profit sector or newly graduated candidates without any work experience (for Master programmes) can be eligible for the scholarship.
The training candidate should have relevant professional experience and a support letter confirming (re)integration in a professional context where the acquired knowledge and skills will be immediately applicable.
For a training programme
- Allowance: € 33/day
- Several one-time payments
- Accommodation, insurance, international travel and tuition fee
For a Master programme
- Allowance: € 890/month
- Accommodation allowance: € 390/month
- Family allowance: € 62 per dependent person/month
- Several one-time payments
- Insurance, international travel and tuition fee
Candidates who meet all the eligibility criteria and are ranked highest on the basis of the selection criteria, will be proposed by the university to VLIR-UOS as a candidate for the scholarship.
The following criteria will be taken into account for the selection of candidates for a scholarship:
It is essential that the motivation and the career goals of the candidate focus on development relevant goals which are dealt within the master programme.
- Professional experience
Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate a higher possibility of implementing and/or transferring the newly gained knowledge upon return to the home country.
The selection committee will aim at a relative balance between the number of male and female candidates awarded a VLIR-UOS scholarship.
- Regional balance
The selection committee will aim at a diversification of candidates from different countries and continents.
How to Apply:
- To apply for a scholarship, you first need to apply for the training or Master programme.
- To apply for a training or Master programme, visit the website of the training or Master programme of your interest. Follow the guidelines for application for the programme as mentioned on its website.
- In the programme application, you can mention whether you wish to apply for a scholarship. In case you do, the programme coordinator forwards your application to VLIR-UOS.
For More Information: