Application Deadline: 19 September 2021 at 11:59 pm (CEST).
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Innovation Accelerator sources, supports and scales bold new solutions to disrupt global hunger and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. The WFP Call for Applications in search of game-changing ideas to build stronger, more sustainable food systems, addressing hunger at the root and galvanizing international cooperation on food security.
The fact that 811 million people still go to bed hungry each night suggests that food systems — the path that food travels from field to our plates — are not meeting the needs of all people. We have seen that some food systems can easily be disrupted by climate shocks, COVID-19 and violent conflict. Even in stable environments, people have limited access to nutritious food because of geographic isolation, socioeconomic inequalities, or weak commercial markets.
This year’s campaign challenges us to innovatively rethink our food systems. We are looking for disruptive innovations for fighting hunger in areas such as resilience to shocks and stress; access to safe and nutritious food; and advancing equitable livelihoods for all.
Eligibility RequirementsIf you are a start-up…
- Your start-up must be incorporated at the time of application. It can be for profit or not-for-profit.
- Your innovation must at least be at the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage. Proof-of-concept and initial traction is preferred.
- Your solution should be financially viable.
- Your proposal must show how working with WFP will serve your long-term strategy.
If you are a WFP employee…
- Your team must have evidence of Country Office support and management buy-in.
- You are encouraged to apply, regardless of your contract type or function.
- We accept project applications from WFP employees who are collaborating with NGOs, government or private sectors.
- Selected teams will be invited to participate in a fully virtual WFP Innovation Bootcamp in February 2022 for a week.
- Projects will also be considered for the WFP Sprint Programme, a six-month acceleration programme with access of up to US$ 100,000 in equity-free funding, mentorship, and
- WFP’s global network of partners and vast field operations.
- Scaling innovations that have proven their concepts and value for social impact may qualify for further funding and support.
- The WFP Innovation Accelerator has a track record of organizing 35 flagship innovation bootcamps, supporting over 320 teams to rapidly refine their innovations, field testing over 90 projects within WFP operations, and bringing 14 disruptive innovations to scale, reaching more than 3.7 million people in 2020 alone.
- To submit your application, please fill in this Application Form before 19 September 2021 11:59 pm (CEST).
- If you know a relevant project for us to consider, please let us know by filling out this Referral Submission Form.
- WFP will review and match successful applications with one of the WFP Innovation Bootcamps in the next six months. The next Innovation Bootcamp is scheduled for February 2022 and will be held virtually amid COVID-19 travel restrictions. We value all applications, however, we are only able to contact shortlisted applicants.
- Interested but don’t feel your idea is ready yet? Don’t let this stop you! WFP accept applications on a rolling basis throughout the year, and applications received past this deadline may still be considered for future programs in 2021.
- For more information, see the Frequently Asked Questions.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the World Food Programme (WFP) Innovation Accelerator 2021