Application Deadline: 25 September 2016
The World Press Photo Foundation invites documentary photographers in East Africa to apply to participate in the World Press Photo Masterclass East Africa.
The masterclass aims to support the most promising young visual journalists in their professional development and will take place in Nairobi, Kenya, from 28 November to 2 December.
The Masterclass East Africa will bring together a selection of the most promising professional photographers from the region who want to develop their career. All photographers who have worked on visual stories about daily life, nature, politics and society are encouraged to apply. The masters will share their expertise and provide individual advice to all participants, and they will be chosen to meet the learning needs and wishes of the selected participants.
The masterclass curriculum is structured around photo essays based on a central theme that participants are required to work on in preparation for the masterclass. The masterclass week also includes lectures by and one-on-one time with all masters.
The Masterclass East Africa is the second in the World Press Photo Foundation’s series of satellite masterclasses, based on the formula of the annual Joop Swart Masterclass for the world’s most talented upcoming visual journalists.
- Participation is free, and all travel and lodging expenses will be covered by World Press Photo.
Professional photographers with experience working on documentary photo stories who:
- are nationals or permanent residents of the following countries in East Africa: Burundi, Djibouti, Comores, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mozambique, Reunion, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe;
- are under the age of 35;
- have a good understanding of English.
Application and selection procedure
- To apply, please send your portfolio, your biography and a short statement of motivation describing what the masterclass might mean to your professional development, to email@example.com before 25 September.
- Large files (25MB<) can be sent via WeTransfer. If you do not already have a portfolio, please prepare a selection of your work that includes at least two photo stories/series.
- You will receive a confirmation email once your application has been checked for completion.
- An international, professional and independent committee will select a maximum of 12 participants based on the quality of work and motivation for participation. To ensure fairness, the selection will take place anonymously.
- The selected participants will be notified by email on 3 October and publicly announced on 10 October.
For More Information: