Application Deadline: May 20 2015
The French Institute for Demographic Studies (INED) is organizing a competitive examination to recruit doctoral students for a period of one to three years:
- 6 doctoral students, enrolled in a French or foreign university, who will receive a doctoral grant for a period of 1 to 3 years, depending on the university year of their first thesis enrolment (3 years for students who first enrolled in 2015
- 2016, 2 years for those who first enrolled in 2014-2015 and 1 year for those who first enrolled in 2013-2014). The monthly remuneration in 2014
- 2015 was 1,684.93 euros gross (1,359 euros net).
- Doctoral students with external funding (employment / doctoral contract with a body other than INED) but who wish to be hosted without remuneration at INED and to benefit from its scientific environment.
- A Master’s degree (M2) or equivalent qualification in a discipline related to population science (demography, economics, epidemiology, history, sociology, etc.) M2 defended before 17 June at the latest.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme in a French or foreign university at the start of the 2015-2016 academic year.
- The first year of PhD thesis enrolment must not be earlier than 2013 (2015-2016, 2014-2015 or 2013-2014 academic years).
- Applicants of all ages and all nationalities are eligible.
- The student’s application must be supported by at least two advisors, including at least one INED researcher
- The thesis supervisor may be a non-INED researcher, but applications from students whose PhD is supervised or co-supervised by an INED researcher will take priority.
- Applications must be uploaded and accepted on the website by 20 May 2015 at the latest (with the exception of Master’s dissertations and defence reports completed after that date).
- Applicants must present a research project that corresponds to the themes and methodological approaches of INED (see the INED website:http://www.ined.fr/en/) and/or of the iPOPs laboratory of excellence (see the iPOPs website: http://www.ipops.fr/).
- The candidates whose advisor supervises 2 or more PhD students already funded by INED or iPOPs in 2015-16 won’t be eligible.
How to Apply:
Create your user account: https://celine.enquete.ined.fr/enquetes//1513374631/scripts/registration.php?initialize
Access the application file: https://celine.enquete.ined.fr/enquetes//1513374631/scripts/authentify.php
This file comprises:
• An application form to be filled in online.
• A curriculum vitæ
• The M2 dissertation
• The M2 defence report
• The M2 grade transcript
•A letter of motivation stating why the applicant wishes to obtain an INED studentship
An academic text for applicants already enrolled in a PhD programme (generally a provisional version of the first thesis chapter)
• A thesis project (no longer than 5 pages max.), written by the applicant and prepared with his/her (future) advisors who are supporting his/her application. This document must contain the following:
o Applicant’s personal details:
name and university;
o A short, clearly worded title describing the main purpose of the applicant’s research;
o An abstract (150 words);
o A presentation of the research topic, objectives and research questions, based on a review of the
state of the art;
o Presentation of methods;
o A work plan (research plan, collaborators, if any). Applicants already enrolled in a thesis programme are asked to describe the state of progress of their research;
o A thesis completion schedule
This document must be prepared very carefully. The schedule must be discussed in order to determine which aspects, if any, are liable to delay completion, and what alternative solutions could be adopted if any difficulties arise;
o The applicant’s career plan;
o A bibliography (one page at most).
Application deadline: 20 May 2015
– Deadline for uploading M2 dissertation and defence report: 17 June 2015
– Selection committee meeting: 25-26 June 2015
– Results (list of successful applications posted online): 3 July 2015
-Starting date at INED: 1 October 2015
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the French Institute for Demographic Studies (INED) Doctoral Scholarships