Non-US students – January 4, 2016
US Students – February 15, 2016
Program Dates: June 29 – July 25, 2016* (*these dates are tentative)
The Hansen Summer Institute on Leadership and International Cooperation is an exciting international program funded by a generous grant from the Fred J. Hansen Foundation. Six Hansen Summer Institutes took place in San Diego, California between 2007 and 2015. The Institute provides a unique University-based leadership experience and program in international cooperation. For three weeks, young American men and women joined students from a variety of developing countries and regions of social strife.
The Hansen Summer Institute will host its next group of young leaders in July 2016 at the University of San Diego School of Leadership and Education Sciences (SOLES).
A primary goal of the program focuses on creating an international community of young scholars who will use their summer experience as a foundation for creating lasting friendships and acquiring common practical understanding of a more peaceful future. Program elements will involve classroom instruction and hands-on training in the latest techniques of conflict resolution, mediation, and inter-cultural management. Classroom training will complement local excursions to San Diego historical attractions and cultural events including a fourth of July parade, a Padres baseball game, and a harbor cruise.
Hansen Summer Institute training aims to provide participants a “leadership toolbox” for resolving conflict and building a better future for their respective countries.
- Upper division undergraduate with 2 years of college/university or graduate student with a professional interest in international relations, diplomacy, international economic development or related studies.
- Student must be between the ages of 20-25 on July 1, 2016.
- Must have demonstrated leadership potential outside of the classroom in the community, nation or region.
- Have an academic advisor verify the candidate’s English proficiency.
- Have a valid international passport with US visa if necessary by the time the program begins.
- Preference will be given to those who have never visited the United States.
For More Information: