Application Deadline: 15 February, 2016.
The Finnish Government offers scholarships of 3-9 months for Doctoral level studies and research at Finnish universities or state research institutes. The Finnish Government Scholarship Pool programme is open to young researchers from all academic fields. The scholarship cannot be applied for Master’s level studies or post-Doctoral studies/research.
- In order to be an eligible applicant for this scholarship, you must first successfully apply for a study/research placement at a Finnish university/public research institute – in other words, you must be at least provisionally accepted either as a visiting Doctoral-level student/researcher, or as a full-time Doctoral degree student.
The scholarships are based mainly on cultural agreements or similar arrangements between Finland and the following countries:
- India (NB: not applicable for the academic year 2016-2017) *
- Republic of Korea
- have established contact with the Finnish receiving institution before applying (see section ‘Doctoral Admissions‘)
- have a letter of invitation from the academic supervisor in Finland; the invitation should also explain the commitment of the host institution to the project
- have earned a Master’s-level degree before applying
- intend to pursue post-Master’s level studies as a visiting student, participate in a research project or teach at a university or public research institute in Finland; priority will be given to doctoral studies
- not have spent already more than one year at a Finnish higher education institution immediately before the intended scholarship period in Finland
- be able to give proof of sufficient skills in speaking and writing the language needed in study/research*
- be a national of one of the eligible countries listed above
The scholarship includes:
- a monthly allowance of EUR 1500. The allowance is sufficient for one person only.
Expenses due to travel, international or in Finland, are not covered by CIMO. Scholarship recipients are recommended to make arrangements for sufficient insurance coverage for their stay in Finland.
The Finnish Government Scholarship Pool programme can be applied for a study/research period of 3-9 months, 9 months being the maximum time for an individual applicant.
If needed, the application form can also be obtained from the national scholarship authorities or directly from CIMO.
Documents required for an application:
- a completed and signed application form
- curriculum vitae
- copies of latest diplomas*
- two letters of recommendation
- study/research plan (2-5 pages, including a statement of motivation, goals, work plan, work method, expected results)
- invitation/expression of interest and motivation for cooperation from the hosting academic supervisor in Finland
- language certificate (Finnish, Swedish or English) or other indication of sufficient language skills – please see above, in the section ‘Eligibility criteria’
*) copies of original diplomas accompanied with translations into English, Finnish or Swedish – if the original certificates are not in these languages. Preferably official translations. Please do not send in any originals as CIMO will not return any application documents.
Head of the Central Departments of Missions and Cultural Representation
Mr Gamal Hassan
Ministry of Higher Education
Tahrir Complex, Tahrir Square 7th Floor, Room 36, Cairo
Tel. (02) 7947364, (02) 7947852
Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund (NSFAF)
Tel. 264 61 420636
Fax: 264 61 233940
Enquiries: Mr. Clint Simasiku
For More Information: