Application Deadline: January 15, 2016
The Bielefeld Graduate School in History and Sociology (BGHS) awards up to six four-month start-up scholarships to international MA graduates who would like to pursue a doctoral degree in history, sociology, anthropology, or political science at the BGHS. Recipients receive the opportunity to prepare a persuasive proposal for a dissertation project. Subsequently, they may apply for the doctoral degree programme at the BGHS and/or for scholarships, doctoral positions and funding programmes in Germany or worldwide.
- Applicants should hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in sociology, history, political science, social anthropology or gender studies; applications from related disciplines are welcome.
- Graduates from abroad who wish to pursue a doctoral degree in history, sociology, anthropology or political science may apply for a start-up scholarship.
- Applications from pre-doctoral researchers .
- Applicants should speak either German or English fluently.
- Neither German nationals nor foreigners with a tertiary education from a German university may apply (Bildungsinländer/innen).
- The start-up scholarships are meant to further networking with scientists at the BGHS, therefore no prolonged archival or research trips should take place during this period.
- The scholarships will be awarded for the Summer Term of each year (1 April until 31 July) and include a stipend of EUR 1,200 per month. This amount will be supplemented by an allowance for children if applicable.
- Upon application, travel costs can also be covered by the Graduate School. Moreover, the BGHS will offer a study programme tailored to the particular needs of international MA graduates.
- Scholarship holders will participate in workshops on German academia as well as on writing a project description and will be supported intensively in finding a funding for their research project.
Applications should be submitted until January 15, 2016 via the online application portal
Please submit the following documents:
- Covering letter (600 words max.) (guidelines)
- Curriculum Vitae (1,000 words max.) (guidelines)
- Summary of your MA thesis (600 words max.)
- Project description (800 words max.) (guidelines)
- Letter of recommendation from your supervisor/advisor at your university (If preferred, your supervisor/advisor can send the letter directly to the BGHS: [email protected])
- University and college transcripts (Master’s certificate or a statement from your examination office that you have successfully completed your Master’s studies. All your grades, including the grade for your Master’s thesis, must be displayed in this statement.)
E-Mail: [email protected].
For More Information: