Application Deadline:April 30, 2020
The International Mathematical Union invites applications from mathematicians professionally based in developing countries to visit an international research collaborator for a period of one month.
In case the length of the visit exceeds one month, the candidate should provide evidence of financial support from the host institution to cover the living expenses beyond the first month.
The program is designed for post doctoral mathematicians in the early stages of their professional careers. It is designed to offer the opportunity for a ‘research sabbatical,’ a necessary complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians desiring to also sustain a viable research program.
The Abel Visiting Scholar Program is fully funded by the Abel Prize in mathematics.
Usually up to 3 Grants are available per YEAR.
1. hold at the time of application a PhD in Mathematics,
2. be based in a developing country at the time of application
3. hold a position in a university/ research institution
4. be in the early stages of their professional careers, more precisely: the applicants should
4. 1) not yet be of full professorial rank but have a working contract in a university/ college
4. 2) be under 40 years of age at the day of the application deadline.
The maximum age may be increased by up to three years in the case of an individual with a broken career pattern. This should be noted in the application together with the reason for the broken career pattern.
Applications from women mathematicians are strongly encouraged.
Applications must be received at least four months before the desired starting date. The selection committee will review the applications and award fellowships every four months. The result is announced on the Abel Visiting Scholar 2019 Recipients page.
The following deadlines apply:
- August 31, 2019 is for visits during January 1 and April 30, 2020
- December 31, 2019 for visits between May 1 and August 31, 2020
- April 30, 2020 for visits starting between September 1 and December 31, 2020
If your application is not complete by the deadline, it cannot be considered for the evaluation round.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2020/2021