Application Deadline: January 15, 2015.
Microsoft seeks original research on the future of cyberspace and its associated cybersecurity policy challenges from university students at any stage in their educational development. What will be the main cybersecurity issues at stake, and what decisions can policymakers make today to ensure a robust cybersecurity landscape in the future?
Preference will be given to responses that integrate quantitative analysis using publicly available cybersecurity data, such as Microsoft Security Intelligence Report (SIR). The ideal submission will leverage original research to inform policy analysis.
Specifically, research should address one or more of the following questions.
What will be the priority cybersecurity issues in 2025, and why?
Who are the priority stakeholders in securing cyberspace (for example, industry, governments, NGOs, and so on)? What new entrants may there be? How will their roles evolve leading up to 2025?
What should be the primary objectives of these stakeholders? Where there are conflicting objectives, such as national versus international policies, how should they be reconciled?
What are the priority actions that should be taken by stakeholders to improve cybersecurity by the year 2025?
What impacts will ensuring or failing to ensure cybersecurity have on societies and economies in the year 2025?
CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
- You are 18 years of age or older and are actively enrolled as a student at an accredited educational institution that grants college/university (or equivalent) degrees at any time between September 15, 2014, and January 15, 2015, OR you graduated from an accredited educational institution that grants college/university (or equivalent) degrees between September 15, 2014, and January 1, 2015; and
- If you are 18 years of age or older, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry into this Contest; and
- You are NOT a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
- PLEASE NOTE: US export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore residents of these countries/regions are not eligible to participate.
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
Cash prizes for the top 3 essays according to the judging criteria:
1st place $5,000 USD
2nd place $3,000 USD
3rd place $2,000 USD
HOW DO I ENTER?
you must write a 5-15 page essay in English that conforms to the content/technical guidelines
To enter, send an email to [email protected] with your essay in Microsoft Word format.
Entries must be received by 11:59 P.M. Pacific Time on January 15, 2015.
For More Information: