Application DEADLINE: February 22, 2016. Late applications will not be accepted.
PILnet are pleased to announce that we are now inviting applications for the 2016 – 2017 PILnet International Fellowship. The PILnet Fellowship, now in its nineteenth year, targets future leaders in various fields of public interest law. PILnet will select lawyers from across the globe for eight months of study and practical experience in New York City.
PILnet Fellows will reside in New York from August 2016 to April 2017, during which time they will develop a project designed to advance human rights and social justice in their home countries. The Fellowship begins with a semester of study at Columbia University School of Law and a series of professional development trainings.
In the spring, the PILnet Fellows will participate in study visits to various cities in the U.S. and Europe, as well as other practical training opportunities in collaboration with US-based public interest law organizations. Fellows return to their home countries after the Fellowship with the aim of implementing the project they developed during the program.
PILnet will select lawyers from: Brazil, Cambodia, China, Colombia, Egypt, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Jordan, Kenya, Laos, Lebanon, Morocco, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, Nigeria, Palestine, the Philippines, Russia, South Africa, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia and Vietnam.
- The candidate should demonstrate leadership potential within the field of public interest law or human rights in his/her country
- The candidate should have a strong relationship with their nominating organization and have worked there for a minimum of two years
- The candidate should be able to effectively communicate in English
- The nominating organization should have a strong track record for promoting public interest advocacy
- The proposed public interest project should have the potential to promote public interest law and human rights in the candidate’s home country
- PILnet will cover the cost of a round-trip coach airfare to the U.S., housing in New York, a monthly stipend and emergency insurance.
- Selected candidates for the Fellowship are required to sign an agreement to the terms of the program, stating that they will complete it in full.
How to Apply:
- Please submit documents via the online application. Documents should be submitted either as a Word document or PDF document. We cannot accept any zipped files or folders;
- All non-English materials must be accompanied by an English translation;
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- If you encounter any problems or questions regarding the online application, please email [email protected]
All applicants must submit the following documents via the online application:
- A completed online application form (https://pilnet.formstack.com/forms/fellow)
- A curriculum vitae or resume
- Nominating letter from the organization where the applicant is employed. The letter should demonstrate that the organization supports the candidate’s application to the program, and indicate how the applicant’s participation in the PILnet Fellowship will benefit the organization/institution
- Two recommendation letters from individuals familiar with the candidate’s professional abilities. (At least one recommendation letter must come from an individual outside of the nominating organization)
- Description of the public interest law project. A public interest law project serves to advance human rights, the rule of law, social justice, or environmental protection. This is a project that the applicant would like to work on during the Fellowship Program, with practical significance to his/her work upon their return home (instructions below)
- Statement of purpose describing the candidate’s motivation for applying to the PILnet Fellowship and how prior professional and academic experiences have prepared him/her to succeed as a PILnet Fellow (1,000 words maximum)
- Copy of the applicant’s law school transcript
- Copy of applicant’s bar membership (optional)
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the PILnet International Fellowship 2016
l have a friend from Egypt that wants to apply for the 2017-2018 program. When can he apply and what is the deadline?