Application Deadline: 15 June 2015.
In providing Georg Forster Research Fellowships (HERMES) for postdoctoral researchers, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation enables highly-qualified scientists and scholars from abroad who are just embarking on their academic careers and who completed their doctorates less than four years ago to spend extended periods of research (6-24 months) in Germany.
The research fellowship programme is financed by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (Bundesministerium für wirtschaftliche Zusammenarbeit und Entwicklung–BMZ) and co-financed by the European Union ( EU) in the 7th Framework Programme.
Send us your application,
- if you are a researcher with above average qualifications in a developing or transition country (see list of countries),
- if you intend to carry out long-term research of your own choice (6 to 24 months) at a research institution in Germany together with an academic host you have chosen yourself,
- if your research outline includes aspects that are important for the continued development of your country or region of origin and
- if you want to contribute to the exchange of knowledge and methods between Germany and your country of origin.
A candidate’s academic eligibility is assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- academic record and academic performance to date (mobility, determination, breadth of research activities, academic productivity)
- quality of key publications specified in the application (originality, degree of innovation, applicant’s contribution in cases of multiple authorship)
- originality and innovation potential of the suggested research outline (significance for the advancement of the discipline, convincing choice of academic methods, prospects for academic development of the applicant, clear focus and feasibility of realization within the requested funding period and at the chosen host institution)
- the applicant’s future potential (academic potential, further academic development, career prospects)
- Doctorate or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc. or equivalent), completed less than four years prior to the date of application.
- Candidates who have nearly completed their doctoral degrees are eligible to apply provided that they submit the manuscript of their dissertation or publications containing the results of their dissertation, however, at the earliest, 6 months prior to the completion of their dissertation
- Academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses.
- Choice of a research outline of major relevance to the future development of the candidate’s country or region of origin
- Confirmation that research facilities are available and mentoring agreement and a detailed expert’s statement including a statement on ethical issues concerning the planned research stay by an academic host at a research institution in Germany.
- Expert reviews from the doctoral supervisor and two other academics qualified to give well- founded comments on the applicant’s qualification, preferably including reviewers not working at the applicant’s own institute
- In addition, the Humboldt Foundation grants up to four Georg Forster Research Awards every year to leading researchers from developing countries.
- a monthly fellowship of 2,650 EUR for postdoctoral researchers (doctorate completed within the last four years) or 3,150 EUR for experienced researchers (doctorate completed within the last 12 years),
- a flexible starting date and – for experienced researchers – the option of splitting the fellowship up into a maximum of three stays,
- individual mentoring during the sponsorship period,
- intensive German language course for fellows and their marital partners prior to the fellowship,
- additional financial support for accompanying family members, for example, or for items like travel expenses or pension plans and
- comprehensive alumni sponsorship once the research stay has come to an end, such as a Return Fellowship or further stays in Germany.
Application and selection procedure
Applications can be submitted at any time from 01/07/2013 to mid-2015 using the following address:
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
Jean-Paul-Str. 12, 53173 Bonn, Germany
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Georg Forster Research Fellowships (HERMES) for postdoctoral researchers